Meeting Cliff Stoll

Today I had the chance to meet the man who unintentionally invented the modern digital forensics practice, Cliff Stoll. In 1989 he published a book about his 1986-87 detection and response against KGB-backed spies who hacked his lab and hundreds of government, military, and university computers. I read his book in high school and it later inspired my military and private computer security services. Cliff was kind enough to take a photo with me today at the SANS Institute Cyber Threat Intelligence Summit in Virginia.

Comments

Unknown said…
That is so cool. I only just read that book in the last year. Its a great read.
Unknown said…
I read the book some years ago. It sets a great example of how even today security analysts need to;
1.Think outside the box
2.Be persistent
3.Have a natural curiosity to track and solve problems
4.Never assume and never give up
Thanks for sharing this Richard. It reminded me of what I am doing and what I am responsible for.
Cheers
Richard, Cliff's story is a true inspiration to all who care about CyberSecurity and "Law and disorder on the electronic frontier" I fully agree with Roy W's post here. Your group at FireEye is also an inspiration. I remember meeting Kevin when he was training FBI agents with Sytex and Foundstone.
Stone said…
Cliff Stoll was definitely an inspiration to many of us. I also read the same book in High School and Cyber Security has been the focus of my career just the same through the military and into my civilian career. I have a signed copy of the Cuckoo's Egg sitting in my bedroom as one of my most favorite possessions.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics